Top Ten Tips and Tons of Questions!
Moving is a huge decision at any time of your life! It is filled with many emotions including stress and exhaustion.
Brewster wants to help take a little stress out of the mix by sharing a few tips of the trade.
- Take your time to make an educated decision.
- Ask family or friends to help evaluate the options with you.
- Trust your feelings and reactions when touring a community.
- Ask for references, and visit with residents as you tour the campus.
- Take the time to review company materials.
- There are no dumb questions and you should ask them all!
- Make sure you understand pricing.
- Do not sign any contract until you have studied it in detail. Ask a family member or attorney to review the contract with you.
- Look up the Retirement Communities’ websites and Facebook pages.
- Ask to have lunch with a current resident to learn more about the community.
Questions to Ask When Selecting Active Independent Living & Retirement Communities
1. What size are the apartments or cottages – studio, 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom? _________________________________
2. What is the starting price? Does it increase annually? How much? _____________________________________________
3. What is included in the price? _________________________________________________________________________________
4. Is there a cost for a second person? ___________________________________________________________________________
5. Is there a buy-in and how does it work? _____________________________________________________________________
6. Is the buy in refundable, and how is it paid out?_____________________________________________________________
7. Is there an age restriction? ____________________________________________________________________________________
8. Is there a wait list? Is there a fee to be on the wait list? Is it refundable? ____________________________________
9. Is the community a continuum of care (Life Plan Community)? _______________________________________________
10. If the community is a LPC, what levels of care are onsite? __________________________________________________
11. When health needs change do residents have to move to another building? ______________________________
12. Is there a meal plan, and if so what is the meal plan like? __________________________________________________
13. How and where are meals served? _______________________________________________________________________
14. Is there housekeeping service? _____________________________________________________________________________
15. Is there laundry service? ___________________________________________________________________________________
16. Is the location handicap accessible? _______________________________________________________________________
17. Is there a fee for parking? Is it covered parking? ____________________________________________________________
18. Is there storage? Is there a fee for storage? ________________________________________________________________
19. Is there scheduled transportation? ________________________________________________________________________
20. Are pets allowed? What is the fee? ________________________________________________________________________
21. What services and activities are included in the price? ___________________________________________________
22. Is there a safety call system? _______________________________________________________________________________
23. What is the cost for family to stay for dinner? Is there on site lodging accommodations for family members? What is the cost?______________________________
24. Is there security? Explain how it works?______________________________________________________________________
25. What happens if I run out of money?________________________________________________________________________
I hope that these questions help you and your family as you begin your search for a retirement community!
Please feel free to share if these helped you or if you have another useful question to be added to our list!
Have a peachy day and don’t forget to smile!