Brewster Place was founded as The Congregational Home for the Aged in 1958.
The cornerstone idea for Brewster Place was conceived in the 1950s when four Congregational churches came together to make life better for seniors. Topekan, Frances Engler and her husband Roy, wanted to provide a comfortable, convenient home for Frances’ aging aunt. The couple took their idea for a senior care home and offer of ten acres of farmland to their pastor, Reverend Ned Burr McKenney.
McKenney worked with the three other Topeka Congregational churches to establish a corporate charter for The Congregational Home in 1958. Though the official corporate name remains The Congregational Home, in 1962 the property became known as Brewster Place to honor early Congregationalist, William Brewster. Brewster, a Mayflower pilgrim and Plymouth Colony leader, was known for his compassion and faith.
Five decades later, compassion and service to seniors is witnessed daily on our beautiful 35 acre campus. Brewster proudly offers nearly 400 residents a wide array of activities, amenities, and innovations to make a positive difference in their lives.
Turn the page and write your next chapter in the Brewster storybook of senior living.