The Englers took their idea and offer of land to their pastor, Rev. Ned Burr McKenney. Rev. McKenney took the idea to other Congregational churches in the area and by 1958, representatives of four local Congregational churches were granted a corporate charter for The Congregational Home.Regardless of the corporate title (The Congregational Home), our community became known as Brewster Place, named after William Brewster (1567-1644), an outstanding Congregationalist and one of the leaders of the Plymouth Colony.The first Executive Director, Mr. Nathan Barr, was hired in 1961 and by 1964 construction of the Main Building was complete and the first tenants arrived. By 1969 the medical facility doubled in size with construction of a second floor. Brewster continued its growth by adding 38 living units in 1972 – Brewster West. In 1979, 38 more living units were constructed including cottages and apartments. Mr. Ron Schmoller took the helm as Executive Director in 1980 after Nathan Barr retired. Brewster East opened in 1987, with the first residents taking occupancy in June of that year.In more recent years, under the leadership of Mr. David Beck who became President/CEO in 1997, Brewster has continued its growth and service to the community by adding the Brewster Health Center, the Townhomes, Brewster at Home and the Rehab Center at Brewster Place. In early 2014, St. Francis Family Medicine at Brewster Place opened its doors, adding to the services we provide to Brewster residents as well as the wider community.We are proud of the Brewster story. Our 30 acre campus is beautiful and inviting, however, our true pride, comes from the award-winning services we provide and the difference we make in the lives of seniors – compassionate care, providing opportunities to our residents and others to achieves an optimal quality of life, fellowship and friendship – we believe these things are our legacy! We invite you to come, join the Brewster family and be part of the Brewster story!
Images © Earl Richardson